SharePoint is most often used for intranet or extranet environments, but more and more it is being used as a platform to build Internet sites. The WCM capabilities built into SharePoint 2010 and 2013 are currently driving many Internet sites such as http://www.presidio.gov, http://sharepoint.microsoft.com, https://www.quickstartonlineservices.com, http://www.prepass.com, and many others. This full-day workshop will walk through the process of defining, designing, building and maintaining a public facing site using both SharePoint 2010 and 2013.
We will begin by defining what pieces and processes need to be in place to begin a project of this type, focusing on business process, design, goal definition and communication.
We will then move into implementation details where we will cover:
- SharePoint 2010 / 2013 WCM strengths and weaknesses
- Site creation
- User experience
- Social integration
- Mobile access
The session will end with a focus on site maintenance, both from a content owner and an IT owner perspective. Some key takeaways from this portion include:
- How to enable your content owners to maintain the site
- How to ensure SEO is optimized through the life of the site
- What are the processes and when is the right time to add additional functionality to your site
- How to track and report on site usage and other analytics