Value Streams have been a core of Lean thinking for decades. It started with Toyota and the Lean Manufacturing movement and has been widely embraced since then. However, most businesses are still not leveraging the idea of value streams to their full capability. Many companies are sub-optimizing by focusing only on agile team velocity, or production pipeline metrics.
An understanding of this concept for modern product development is key to improving our ways of working – being more effective, efficient, and holistic in our approach to delivering value to customer. Let's make visible and look to measure the end-to-end system.
Mapping the path to value will help us answer: Is our biggest delay actually the time it takes to deploy code from first check-in? Do we have the right people in the right areas? Where are the biggest challenges in our process? How does information flow across teams?
Let‘s understand the entire path to customers and the capabilities needed so we are improving the entire system. At the end of this session, you can map out your own "path to value."
In this session, you will learn:
- What is value stream mapping and what problems are we trying to solve with this activity
- The myths and misunderstandings people have about Value Streams and Value Stream Mapping
- Why mapping the path to value is crucial to helping your business achieve the promised value of agile and DevOps
- 8 Lean principles to help you succeed in this activity (and in your daily life)
- How to start with the mapping activity in a lightweight way